Western Oregon University creates lasting opportunities for student success through transformative education and personalized support.
To become Oregon’s campus of choice for students, faculty and staff who seek a student-centered learning community.
Western Oregon University will achieve this vision by:
- Cultivating student success through personalized attention, mentoring and degree attainment.
- Raising awareness of our strengths, successes and contributions to the community through increased public outreach.
- Adapting to the changing world through continuous institutional improvement, evolving pedagogues and expertise, sustained scholarly and creative activities and delivery of critical and innovative programs.
- Aspiring to standards of excellence in all programs.
- Challenging students, faculty and staff to grow profoundly through inspiring, thought-provoking educational experiences.
- Connecting students with communities through engagement in service, experiential learning, creative problem-solving opportunities and cocurricular collaborations.
- Supporting the inclusion of, respect for and appreciation of all communities of students, faculty and staff.
- Promoting the well-being of students, employees and the environment.
Our practices are guided by our values:
- Accessibility: Programs, resources, media and structures that support the needs of our community members; affordable cost of attendance; personalized support; welcoming, efficient and user-friendly systems.
- Accountability: Evidence-based decision making, integrity and ethical transparency.
- Collaboration: Effective communication cooperative exploration, problem solving and teamwork; shared governance; dialogue.
- Community: Trustworthy, caring, safe environment for the cultivation of peace, civility and social justice; connections extending beyond the classroom, across campus and into our local and global communities.
- Diversity and Respect: Equity and inclusion; a fundamental basis in human diversity; appreciation for the complexity of the world; strength drawn from our variety of backgrounds, abilities, cultural experiences, identities, knowledge domains and means of expression.
- Empowerment: Knowledge, skills, pathways, technologies and resources for all community members to effectively identify and utilize opportunities; student success in degree attainment; critical thinking.
- Excellence: High standards for teaching, learning, scholarship and service; co-curricular activities; advancement of knowledge, analytical skills, creativity and innovation.
- Sustainability and Stewardship: Leadership in service of the public good; action to improve the health of our planet; responsibility for preserving and enhancing the natural, structural, financial, intellectual and human resources entrusted to us.